Clearspring’s Organic Sushi Rice is ideal for creating delicious, perfectly cooked rice that can be used in Japan’s most celebrated dish, sushi. The short grain Selenio rice variety has characteristics very similar to the Japonica rice that is used to make sushi in Japan. It is organically grown in the Piemonte region of northwest Italy, an area also renowned for the cultivation of risotto rice.
Once ripened, the rice is then polished to perfection by a rice miller located in the nearby town of Trino. When only the outer most layer of a grain of rice is removed (the husk) brown rice is produced. To produce white rice, the next layers underneath the husk (the bran and the germ layer) are removed leaving mostly the starchy endosperm.
An essential product for making authentic sushi at home.
1. Wash 1 cup (190g) of Sushi Rice in cold water and drain.
2. Transfer to a saucepan with 1¼ cups (300ml) of cold water.
3. Leave to soak for 30 minutes.
4. Bring to the boil. Cover and lower the heat to simmer for 10 - 12 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed.
5. Remove from heat and leave, covered, for 10 minutes.